Saturday, June 03, 2006

Iceberg


Picture the iceberg. Part of it is above the surface and part below. Much of what gives you stability above the surface is the actual stability of what's below the surface. To be successful on the outside it's what's inside. We can't just "act" our way to success but have to deal with what's inside us internally and our ideas of success. When we are calling on people and prospecting that is all external stuff, representations of who we are on the inside. We all vision cast and have been taught to "Act as if you were making whatever your goal was" these are great concepts if they truly match the disciplines and thoughts within. When they do match that is when things really start to take place, a good balance. Imagine the Iceberg with nothing below the surface...It would not be very stable, much like we are when our strength is not coming from within and we try and portray a vision on the outside only.

Henry David Thoreau "If man advances confidently toward the direction of his dreams and he endeavors to live the life he has imagined he will meet with success unimagined in common hours. " We must advance confidently. It is not by accident. Advancing confidently comes through training, belief, decision. In our company there is no limit to your dream, this gives us the opportunity "to advance confidently to our dreams" knowing there is nothing stopping us besides ourselves. We must dream and build on those dreams. "Listen to endeavor" the daily discipline of success. When we don't have discipline we have negative self talk which tears us down. We must pay now so we can play later. When our goals are big enough work will not be work but the enjoyment of what we need to do to reach our goals.

Think about people and non-profits not only money. Don't rely on external motivation from trainings etc...Make sure you study yourself and get the internal keys to motivation down. When you want to make a difference in the world motivation will come from inside of you. "We will meet with success in uncommon hours" it will surprise us how simple it really was to get to our goals.

1. What is my goal (purpose)? There is a reason why you've been placed in OurGV.
2. What's important about being successful to me? City slickers movie. "You all are the same spending 50 weeks a year getting knots in your rope come up here and want to get them all worked out. Do you know the secret to success? You have to decide the one thing that is most important to you." Your purpose will most likely have a lot to do with helping people.
3. What do I value and what are my priorities? Longer term goals 10 yrs. Down the road. Financial, physical, emotional and others that are important to you.
4. What is my short-term goal?
5. What are my daily activities? This is the top of the iceberg. What do I need to do today to make the other steps work.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe I am really starting to grasp the heart of owning and idea or an action. It really creates that simple result and that the heart needs to lead first in order for us to own that learning lesson or idea. Then the mind communicates with the heart and the action produces the result . I dont know if that is how you state it but I feel I am closer to owning it more than ever. Let me know because I am very excited in my skin right now!!!! Best, Mark c.

Anonymous said...

What's important about being successful to me? It is important because I will not have to worry about the bills each month or some unexpected financial burden. I will have the resources to deal with lifes expected and unexpected financial obligations. This allows me the freedom to pursue dreams that have been pushed aside.

Anonymous said...

I really like your iceberg theory it makes alot of sense because in life we deal with enough issue and like you said the main issue in our success should be about helping someone other than ourselves and to me that's how were going to be able to get ahead in life cause money come and go's dont get me wrong I need money but for other reason more than one and like it says in the book of Ecclesiastes 8:15 their nothing better to a man to do than to eat, drink and be marry. So I'm ready to go as far as GOD would allow me to go cause I'm not in control he really is if you know what I mean so let's do it. "kendra"